Signage is all around us because it is an essential part of life. From road signs to business logos and helpful directions in the supermarket, signage is valuable and beneficial. But what exactly is signage? Also, how can you use it to improve your business? The following information seeks to answer these and more questions about signage.
Signage is the use of signs and symbols to convey a message to a particular audience (Also see Digital Signage). It is also the design used to create the sign, as well as a group of signs. This term became popular in the late 1970s to early 1980. Any form of graphic display whose purpose is to communicate a message is signage.
What Is The Purpose Of Signage?
Signage has professional, personal, and practical purposes. The most common reasons why people use signage are:
- To pass information. This is the most common purpose of signage. It will inform anyone who can read it. Informative signage is used both indoors and outdoors in different situations. Indoors you will meet with signs such as ‘no smoking’ while outdoors, you will meet signage such as ‘children crossing.’
- To give directions. Signage is essential for providing directions. We find these forms of signage again, both indoors and outdoors. In commercial buildings, you will see signage directing you to specific shops and offices. On highways, you will find signage placed by the government to show directions to different places.
- For marketing. Signage is also popularly used for marketing purposes; marketing banners are an excellent way to get your name out there. Many people in business use signage to share their products, logos, services, promotions, and more. It is a timeless tool that has proved useful.
- For identification. You will often find signs that help you to identify things or places effortlessly. For example, the name of a town as you enter the town. Also, to identify bathrooms for different genders easily.
- For the appearance. In some instances, people use signage to improve the appearance of an area or building. It makes all the difference because it improves aesthetics and makes the area more attractive.
Why Signage Is Important For Any Business
Signage is essential to any business. After all, what good are your products and services if nobody knows that they exist? Signage will enhance your business in more than one way. When people choose to invest in signage for their business, it is because it plays a vital role in the success of said business. How?
- It gives you a competitive advantage. Signage can help you stand out in the sea of similar companies. A unique and easily visible sign will set you apart from other businesses making it easier for your clients to find you. It will also grab the attention of potential customers looking for your products and services.
- It is a good marketing tool. Signage is more than the difference-maker; it is also a way for you to market your business. The correct signage will display your products and services, making it easier for potential clients to stay informed about what you offer. You could market a promotion or sale using signage.
- It can build brand awareness. Are you worried about your brand? Like every good business owner, you should be. Your brand is vital to the business. People will work and trust brands that they can recognize. If you are planning on building brand awareness, then signage will help you with this. Create a narrative that describes your company’s values and paste it onto your signage. Before you know it, customers will be able to connect to your brand.
- It will improve communication. Signs are the most visible way that a company or brand can communicate with consumers. Not only will they inform customers of what products and services they offer, but signs are a great way to make an impression on people you have never worked with. From the signage, they will tell what it would be like to work with you. They can also predict the quality of the products and services you offer. This will aid them in deciding whether to work with you or not.
Now that you understand signage and its importance, you are ready to get one for your business. Luckily, there are many applications of signage. They come in different sizes, using various materials. You can get wall signs to give your business identity. Window and floor graphics will help clients find your business faster if it is in a commercial complex. These last a long time and can be made into any shape or design you want. Roll-up banners are best for sales and promotions. They are cost-effective marketing tools and can be reused if stored properly. Whatever you choose, be sure that you select a good graphic design and printing company.