The Ultimate Guide to Choosing Picture Mounts
Picture mounts serve a functional purpose by providing support for your pictures or artwork. In addition, it can also be a powerful design choice, adding depth and style to your display.
In this comprehensive guide, we explore picture mounts, shedding light on the various aspects of their selection, customisation, and importance in preserving the longevity of your artwork.
Whether you’re an art enthusiast looking to enhance your collection, a photographer seeking to present your best shots most elegantly, or just want to have pictures of friends and family on your walls, this guide will equip you with the knowledge to make informed decisions when choosing picture mounts. But first,
What is a Picture Mount?
Before we get to the guide, it is important to explore the difference between a mount and a frame. Most people use the terms interchangeably even though they are different. They serve complementary roles, but a mount gives a solid base to an image for a firm backing.
On the other hand, a frame requires you to print an image and then place it in an enclosed case with a transparent front to show the image. Framing is a great option, but artists and collectors prefer mounting because the picture will have better quality and last longer.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Picture Mounts
When choosing picture mounts, there are several important factors to consider to ensure you make the correct choice for your specific artwork or photographs. Here’s an overview of the key factors you should keep in mind:
The choice of material for your picture mount can significantly impact the aesthetics, longevity, and preservation of your photograph. The following are types of materials you may come across to help you make the right decision:
- Paper Mounts. They are a cost-effective choice and are often ideal for prints, posters, and less valuable artwork. However, paper mounts are not as durable or long-lasting as other materials and may not provide the same level of protection against environmental factors.
- Mat Board Mounts. Matboard mounts are a popular choice for their balance of quality and affordability. They are available in various colours and textures, allowing for creative customisation. Acid-free mat boards are the best for preserving artwork over time.
- Fabric Mounts. Fabric mounts, often made of linen or silk, can add a luxurious and textured look to your presentation. They are especially suitable for fine art and high-end photography. Fabric mounts are durable and offer a timeless elegance.
- Specialty Materials. Some mounts are made from unique materials, such as suede or exotic textiles. These are ideal for their distinct appearance and tactile qualities but are often more expensive and best suited for exclusive or high-value artwork.
Size and Dimensions
The size and dimensions of your picture mount are crucial to the overall aesthetics of your framed piece. Consider the following:
- Proportion. Ensure that the size of the mount complements the size of your artwork. The mount should not stretch the photo or art that it becomes pixelated. In addition, it should not be so small that it fails to provide a suitable background for the whole picture.
- Border Width. The width of the border the mount creates can be adjusted to your preference. A wider border can create a more formal or dramatic effect, while a narrow border may provide a more modern or minimalist look.
Price is an essential element when buying picture mounts. The cost of picture mounts can vary widely depending on several factors. It is important to balance your budget and the desired quality and appearance of your framed artwork or photographs. Here are some considerations:
- Budget. Determine your budget for the framing project, including the picture mount, picture alteration, printing, and additional components. Setting a budget upfront helps you narrow down your options and prevent overspending.
- Quality. Picture mounts are available at various price points, often reflecting the materials’ quality. While cost-effective options may be suitable for less valuable or temporary displays, consider investing in higher-quality mounts for valuable or long-term artwork to ensure preservation.
- Bulk Purchases. If you have multiple artworks to frame or intend to frame pieces regularly, buying mounts in bulk may be more cost-effective in the long run. Some suppliers offer discounts for larger quantities.
- Sales and Discounts. Always keep an eye out for sales, promotions, and discounts, which can make higher-quality mounts more affordable. Sign up for newsletters or loyalty programs with art supply stores to receive updates on special offers.
Customisation of picture mounts allows you to create a unique and tailored presentation for your artwork or photographs. It is an opportunity to add a personal touch and enhance the overall aesthetics of your framed pieces. Here are customisation options commonly available for picture mounts:
- Colour. Choosing the right colour for your picture mount is one of the fundamental customisation aspects. Consider the colour palette of your artwork or the room where it will be displayed. Depending on your intent, the mount colour can either harmonise with the art or provide a striking contrast.
- Specialty Materials. You can opt for special materials for a truly unique and luxurious touch. Examples include suede, silk, or exotic textiles. These materials can add an exquisite, tactile quality to your presentation, making your framed piece stand out.
- Embossing. Embossing involves adding raised patterns, textures, or designs to the mount’s surface. This customisation option creates a tactile and visual element that can draw attention to specific areas of your mounted piece or enhance the overall aesthetic.
- Decorative Cuts. Beyond basic shapes, you can choose decorative cuts for your mount. These intricate designs can include custom designs that add elegance and artistry to your presentation. Decorative cuts are especially popular for framing fine art and photographs.
- Monogramming and Text. Monogramming or adding text to your mount ensures a personalised touch. It might include a name, the title of the artwork, or a meaningful message. It’s a way to provide context or additional information about the piece.
Worth Noting: Where to Get Picture Mounts
The best place to get a picture mount is at a reliable printing shop. Ensure that the printing company has experience creating picture mounts matching your desired quality and size.
In addition, the company should provide customisation options, photo alteration, and other additional services to ensure the best outcome. Finally, ensure their price range is not too high or suspiciously low.
You can check online for printing providers, ensuring they have good reviews and a wide range of services.
Final Observation On Choosing Photo Mounts
Picture mounts can elevate your pieces to new heights. As you set out to choose the perfect picture mount for your art or photographs, the possibilities are endless.
Whether you’re a seasoned art enthusiast looking to enrich your collection, a photographer aiming to showcase your finest shots with grace and style, or someone seeking to adorn your walls with family and friend photographs, this guide equips you with the knowledge needed to make great decisions when choosing picture mounts.
The ultimate key to great photo mounts is working with an experienced printing company. Visit Print Shop KE today, and let us bring your vision to life.